This fellowship support program is designed to encourage Korean Studies research by doctorate-level students and prominent scholars through the sponsorship of their visit to Korea so that they can conduct onsite field research, gather pertinent data, access resource materials, and develop personal relations with Korean specialists.
Doctorate-level students and scholars conducting research on Korean Studies or Korea-related comparative/case studies in the fields of the humanities, social sciences, culture and arts.
- Doctoral candidate: An individual who has completed his/her requisite coursework and is in the process of writing his/her doctoral dissertation
- Professor/specialist (doctorate-degree holder): Professor (above assistant professor) or professional researcher who seeks to conduct research/present lectures at a university or research institute in Korea.
- Applicants must be able to conduct their research in Korean or English.
- For Korean nationals, only those who have acquired permanent residency status in a foreign country or are serving in a regular faculty position at a university abroad are eligible to apply.
- An individual with the following circumstances is not eligible for consideration:
- Engaged in the study/specialization of such fields as the natural sciences, medicine, orengineering
- Currently studying or conducting research in Korea
- An individual who seeks to improve his/her Korean language ability or to attend regular courses at a university in Korea
- An individual who has received Korea Foundation Fellowship for Field Research program support within the past three years.
- The fellowship period approved by the Foundation may differ from the applicant’s proposed schedule.
Accommodations and research facilities for a fellow should be arranged by the individual fellow, in cooperation with his/her research affiliation institute. (The Korea Foundation will not provide housing accommodations for program fellows.) Research-related basic study should be conducted before program application and fellows should work on their dissertations during the fellowship period.
About 30 individuals are selected as program fellows each year
Terms and Details of Program Support
- For Lecture/Research Fellowship, the fellow can present lectures at the host institution (university) in conjunction with his/her research, but needs to submit the Korean-related research outcome separately.
- For Research Fellowship, stipend will be remitted directly to the fellow.
- For Lecture/Research Fellowship, stipend will be remitted through the host university.
- Korean host institutions have to provide assistance to fellows in regard to visa matters, accommodations, and research facilities.
- Application Deadline: September 30, 2011
- Application Screening and Notification of Results: November 30, 2011
- Field Research in Korea: January through December 2012
Obligations of Program Fellows
Responsibility for Outcome
- Doctoral Candidate: Doctoral dissertation must be completed within 2 years after the fellowship period
- Professors: AHCI/SSCI, academic journals registered with the National Research Foundation of Korea, academic journals recognized by each country’s ministry of education (articles should be completed within 1 year after the fellowship period), or publication of books (within 2 years after the fellowship period) For publication of SSCI/AHCI articles or books as the outcome of the fellowship, the Korea Foundation will provide $2,000 of additional program incentive. (The Korea Foundation’s assistance should be acknowledged in such published material.)
Program fellows are required to submit (1) Final Report on research project before the conclusion of the fellowship period, and (2) Outcome of field research in Korea, such as academic research articles, after the fellowship period. Professors and researchers should publish articles within 1 year after the fellowship period, and doctoral candidates need to complete their doctoral dissertations within 2 years after the fellowship period. For any fellow who does not satisfy the outcome requirements, he/she will not be eligible for future support from the Korea Foundation.
- Curriculum Vitae: Personal and academic information that includes:academic degrees obtained (disciplines, title of thesis/ dissertation, and year degrees were received), record of recent and current employment status, previously received grants and fellowships, and list of publications and research presentations.
- Research Proposal: Summary of proposed research (at least five pages), which includes the following information:
- Description and objective of proposed research
- Significance of proposed research in terms of disciplinary concerns as well as its relevance to Korean Studies
- Description of research methods and materials
- Progress report on proposed research to date
- Specific schedule to complete proposed research
- Necessity of field research in Korea
- Goals of research results (doctoral dissertation, submit article to academic journals, publication plans)
- Letter of Affiliation or Letter of Joint Research, which includes the following information:
- How long, how well, and in what capacity have you known the applicant
- Your agreement to serve as the applicant’s research advisor/associate in Korea, if selected
- Evaluation of the significance, scope, and feasibility of the applicant’s project
- Applicant’s ability to complete the project, including methodological training, command of necessary perspectives and literature
- Contribution this project will make to relevant fields of study as well as the study of Korea
- Necessity to conduct research in Korea
- Plans to support applicant’s research space, equipment, and accommodations
- Other research cooperation
- For a joint research project, please address the following matters in your letter of joint research:
- Purpose and content of the joint research · Necessity to conduct joint research in Korea · Current stage of the joint research and plans to conduct research during the fellowship period
For more information, please visit official website: www.kf.or.kr