The Doctoral Program (DK, in short for the German name Doktoratskolleg) “ComputationalMathematics” (W1214) is a special effort of five institutes (four of the Johannes Kepler UniversityLinz (JKU) and one (RICAM) of the Austrian Academy of Sciences). The general goal is combined PhD education in numerical analysis and symbolic computation. Currently the DK is granted by the Austrian Science Funds (FWF) for a duration of three years, with a prospect of prolongation for another nine years. It officially starts on October 1, 2008. The director is Prof. Dr. Peter Paule (RISC).
The participating institutes are:
- Institute of Applied Geometry (Geo)
- Institute of Computational Mathematics (NuMa)
- Industrial Mathematics Institute (IndMath)
- Research Institute for Symbolic Computation (RISC)
- Johann Radon Institute for Computational and Applied Mathematics (RICAM)
We offer nine annual employment contracts for PhD students for the maximum duration of three years. The first year of employment will be a probationary year. A DK contract guarantees a monthly gross salary of EUR 1,877.- (net salary: approx. 1,345.-) for full employment and a social and health insurance at the Austrian insurance agency for public employees (BVA).
Depending on the project, your place of work will either be the Science Park in Linz, directly on the University campus, or the castle of Hagenberg. There are students’ accommodations near both places.
About Linz and Hagenberg
Linz is the capital of Upper Austria and the third-largest city of Austria. It is located in the north centre of Austria on both sides of the river Danube. Linz offers a perfect blend of cultural pursuits and fine sightseeing options, e.g. the Landstraße, the pilgrimage church on the Pöstlingberg hill, the Brucknerhaus (concert hall), and the Lentos Art Museum.
About 20 km north of Linz, surrounded by the beautiful countryside of the Mühlviertel, you can find the village Hagenberg, where the Research Institute for Symbolic Computation (RISC) is located. There is a direct bus connection between the RISC institut and the Johannes Kepler University (JKU) Linz.
Sep 23, 2011: Deadline for applications
Oct 1, 2011: Official start of the 2nd period of the Doctoral Program
Application Requirements and Procedure
In order to apply for a position in the Doctoral Program a candidate has to provide the following information/documents:
- A letter of application stating clearly his/her background and why he/she is applying,
- A curriculum vitae including a photo of the applicant,
- The project(s) of the Doctoral Program that is/are of interest to the applicant,
- A list of all courses that the applicant has taken during his/her university studies, including the number of hours credited and the grades,
- Two recommendation letters (to be sent to email@example.com),
- The diploma or master thesis.
For applying for a PhD position register online on this homepage.
Technical questions should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information, please visit official website: www.dk-compmath.jku.at